Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Terrible, Horrible, No Good...

Very Bad Day! That's just what today has been so far. With kids, you know these days are going to come, but that doesn't make them any more fun. It started with Maddie waking up crying. Usually she's happy-go-lucky and yells down in her sweet voice, "Mommy, I awake! It's light outside! Come get me!" So much nicer than the crying. As soon as I enter her room this morning, it's like a Desitin bomb has gone off. I flip on the light and diaper cream is *everywhere*! In her hair, covering her arms, legs, in between her toes, on her sheets, her comforter, her Curious George book, all over a big pile of wipes. She'd used a whole brand new tube! Oh, good grief! She knows she's in big trouble now.

She cries all through her bath. Through me stripping down everything in her room. Through the "you know Mommy loves you, but I'm *really* not happy with what you did" speech.

We go downstairs and she calms down enough to eat breakfast, so I go into the kitchen (just steps away) to make eggs for myself. During which time she proceeds to "feed" her baby doll yogurt...which turns into a slimy yogurt facial. "But Mommy, baby is so hungry...her tummy is rumbling!" One more mess to clean up. Grr...

A little later she gets out the thermometer from a drawer and says, "I need to take baby's temperature. She has two fevers." Fine, go ahead. I smell that she's had an accident in her Pull-Ups, so we head to the potty and she has the thermometer in hand. As she's sitting on the potty and I tell her to put the thermometer down...you guessed it...PLOP! It falls into the potty, poo and all. So now I have to disgustingly fish that out. More cleaning to do.

As we get ready to head to the store for a few things, Maddie is once again asserting her independence and not listening to my directions. So after a warning and her giving ME the "wait-one-minute finger" (oh no you didn't!), she gets a swat on the bottom (which is a new thing around here). Now she's crying again. I'm frustrated. We get out to the car and it's raining and I realize her carseat is still in the house. Great! (Background: Yesterday after my dr. appt, our Jeep decided to up and die on me. My sweet husband drove to meet us and try to fix it, but no luck. So we had to get it towed to our house. Keith thought he fixed it last night, but...) I clip Maddie in the carseat, she's wailing about something new now, and I go to start the car--nope! Won't start! THAT'S IT! THAT'S MY LAST STRAW!!! Now I've lost it. She's crying, I'm crying. I whisk her inside, put her in her bed (which of course has no bedding on it anymore) and lock myself in the bathroom for a good cry.

I sure hope the Gypsies don't come to my house today because I might just be tempted to sell her off to the highest bidder...

Let's hope our afternoon starts looking up! It's got to get better from here, right? :-)

5 comments:

Christine said...

I know I shouldn't be laughing, but that's just hilarious! Way to tell a good story, buddy. Ugh. We know about those days around here, too. Not fun. Hope the rest of the day was a little quieter for you. xo

Brooke said...

We've had days like those around here too... I cry, the kids cry, and then I try and laugh about it later! :)

I agree, what a great story teller you are! I hope the rest of the day went better. I have to say, Maddie is almost the exact same age Riley was last year when she went through a couple of months of terrible 2 1/2's... I hope this isn't a start of anything like that in your household!

Heather Elizabeth said...

Can you have a strawberry pastry?

OK, really take a time out for yourself! Leave Maddie in the crib with a book for a bit and I am praying! LOVE YOU!

Unknown said...

Oh Sis, I'm sorry you've had such a bad day! And I can't believe that blasted Jeep! It's been nothing but a pain in the butt since you got it. It honestly had no problems when we had it. If I'd have known it was such a mess we never would have sold it to you guys. I feel awful!! I'm so sorry. Can you sell it for scrap metal or something? We should have sold you my Civic...I bet that's still going strong. I hope the weekend makes up for the bad day today :( Love you

Katy said...

That was a fabulous story. I'm just sad that it was sad for you at the time. There will be a time when you look back and read your old posts and you will laugh when you get to this one! You'll laugh out of relief (that you don't have to relive it) and laugh 'cause *sorry* it is funny!!!
I'll be praying for easier days. Do you have a portable play crib you can use for a bit?
Hoping today is better and hugs.